Published on Monday, January 04, 2010
By Daily Breeze Staff Writer
Keep up to date with South Bay crime and court news Track South Bay court cases South Bay crime stats
One of three men prosecuted for shooting at an occupied car in Gardena was acquitted by a jury Monday.
Nicholas Boligan was accused of driving the getaway car after the April 10, 2007, shooting in the 2600 block of Marine Avenue.
Following a monthlong trial in Inglewood Superior Court before Judge Victor Wright, a jury deliberated for less than a day before finding Boligan, 21, not guilty.
The other defendants previously pleaded no contest to attempted murder charges, said Deputy District Attorney Christopher Hartman.
Ruben Rizo, 21, the gunman, was sentenced to 32 years in prison, Hartman said.
Andrew Acosta, 21, is scheduled to be sentenced Jan. 27 in Torrance Superior Court. He made a deal with prosecutors and is expected to get 17 years in prison, Hartman said.
The charges carried the potential punishment of life in prison
A new start